Monday, January 14, 2008

NOTHING BUT A HOUND DOG


As an example of superficial sports writing technique this takes some beating - Paul Kimmage going all ga-ga in the Sunday Times over Russian tennis princess Maria Sharapova:

"And that’s when it happens. Suddenly, inexplicably, I start to envy her dog. I want to be Dolce. I want to die and come back as that fluffy Pomeranian pooch and for the next five minutes I completely derail. It’s like that scene from American Beauty when Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) is watching his daughter’s cheerleading rally and is mesmerised by her cute, blonde friend. I gazed at Sharapova with eyes as big as dinner plates and was suddenly skiing off piste ."

Putty in Maria's hands, you might say. This, and another 2,000 words on the same theme, wins Kimmage the Sporting Pseud of the Week award - the first Irishman to be so blessed.
It's also a good excuse to use a picture of Maria.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More pictures of Maria Sharapova please.